This is your chance to participate in our upcoming production of “James and the Giant Peach”! During this memorable experience, participants will gain confidence, work cooperatively with others, and be responsible for meeting deadlines and expectations. Adults can join us on stage as well, or participate in the production in a variety of ways. This will be both fun and challenging while participants learn about the essentials of acting, music, dance, and stagecraft as well as theater history. We look forward to nurturing your imagination and creativity in a way the entire family will never forget!
New this spring: our production of James and the Giant Peach will be held at Woodside High School Performing Arts Center April 12-22, 2018.
"Somewhere inside all of us is the power to change the world." Auditions for James and the Giant Peach will be held in January! Prior to the auditions, we invite you to join us at our free Audition Workshop to make sure you have the song and monologue choice that’s just right for you! Learn more about each character…so you know which role you want to audition for. Learn the audition dance so you can show us your amazing moves! Come and work hands-on with the creative team on preparing for Annie 2017 auditions.
Date: January, 2018; exact date and time to be announced
Location: Kirkpatrick's School of Dance, 1701 Leslie Street #100, San Mateo CA
Adults and children ages 6 and up
What to Expect as an Actor
- All participants will be cast in an ensemble role regardless of whether or not a speaking role is offered to them.
- All participants will perform in at least three ensemble numbers in the show.
- The audition process is a combined effort by the artistic staff and a board appointed representative. All will be involved during auditions and will participate in providing audition feedback to students. The audition team will make final casting decisions.
- Speaking and specialty roles will be double cast wherever possible, allowing more participants an opportunity to experience solo performing.
- As an ensemble-based theater group, ALL participants will perform in ALL performances in the appropriate/assigned ensemble numbers whether or not they have a speaking or specialty role.
Rehearsal and Performance Details
- Rehearsals are held at Kirkpatrick's School of Dance in San Mateo.
- Rehearsals are held on Saturdays and Sundays.
- Our performance venue has changed! This spring 2018 we will be performing at Woodside High School in Woodside, CA.
Family Involvement & Mainstage Policies
Creating theater is about people working together. While we are fortunate enough to have a professional production staff, parent volunteers are an integral part of putting on an e.T.c. Mainstage production. Both actors and their families have roles in the production. A typical e.T.c. Mainstage production includes a total of over 2000 hours of volunteer time. This is divided among the families of all cast members. It is important to review and understand e.T.c.'s Family Involvement & Mainstage Policies which cover the following topics:
- Participant Behavior Guidelines
- Parent Responsibilities
- Mandatory Parent Meeting
- Mandatory Volunteer Requirement
- Mandatory Work Days
- Attendance and Conflicts Policy
- Costume Policy
- Drop/Refund Policy
If you are new to e.T.c. or theater in general, many of your questions may be answered on the Family Involvement & Mainstage Policies page.
Rehearsals are held on Saturday and Sunday afternoons in San Mateo.
Tech Week rehearsals are 5:30-9:30 at Woodside High School.
e.T.c. must be informed of all conflicts for the entire season by the participant's audition date. Participants are allowed three conflicts, but those conflicts may not fall on Mandatory rehearsal days, during Tech Week, or during any performance. Please review the e.T.c. Attendance and Conflicts Policy.
Note: Schedule and times subject to change (last updated 10/11/2017)
Workshop: Coming in January, 2018 at Kirkpatrick's Dance Studio in San Mateo; exact date and time to be announced. Free
Auditions: Coming in January, 2018 exact dates and times TBA (must be registered and have an audition-spot to audition)
Callbacks (by appointment only): Exact date and time TBA
Parent and Volunteer Meeting — Mandatory: Saturday January 27, 2018 time TBA
Rehearsals: Saturday January 27 through Saturday April 7, 2018
Rehearsals will be scheduled for the following groups within the following time periods (subject to change):
- Saturdays 1 pm – 6 pm (All Cast)
- Sundays 11 am – 6 pm (All Cast)
- No rehearsals on: Saturday March 31 (Passover), Sunday April 1 (Easter)
- Mandatory rehearsal days - March 10 - April 7 (no conflicts on these days)
Load-In: Saturday April 7, 2018
Tech Week: April 8-11, 201 at Woodside High School Performing Arts Center
- Sunday April 8, 2018 - Cue to Cue 12:00 pm - 6:00 pm
- Monday - Wednesday April 8-11, 2018 - Tech rehearsal 5:30 pm - 9:30 pm
Company Party: Date and time to be announced
Performances April 12-15 and April 19-22, 2018
Benefit Performances: Thursday April 12 & Thursday April 19 at 7 pm
Evening Performances: Friday April 13, Friday April 20 at 7:30 pm
Matinee Performances: Saturday-Sunday April 14-15 & Saturday-Sunday April 21-22 at 2:00 pm
Strike will be immediately after the April 22nd matinee
Registration fees are per person and include a complimentary T-shirt.
- $400 first child participant (ages 6-18)*
- $275 additional child participant (ages 6-18)*
- $200 adult participant*
*IMPORTANT NOTE: the registration fee does not include headshot photo or costume fees.
- The headshot photo is $10 and can be paid directly to the photographer on Headshot day. If the fee is not paid to the photographer, it will be added to your account.
- The costume fee depends on the complexity of your character's costumes. The maximum costume fee is $125. You will be charged costume fees prior to the last show.
All fees must be collected prior to the last show. Please review the Costume Policy for more information.
- Costume rentals are provided by e.T.c., but are the financial resposibility of the actor. Costume bills will be distributed prior to the closing of the show, and must be paid by the closing performance. The costume charge is based on the complexity of the costume(s), but will never exceed $125. Please review the Costume Policy for more information.
- Participants must provide their own shoes and makeup.
- Headshots are required. We contract with a local photographer to have them done on an all-cast rehearsal day for a nominal fee of $10 (paid directly to the photographer), but you may provide your own black and white 4 x 6 instead by Headshot day. If the fee is not paid to the photographer or a photo is not provided then the photo fee will be added to your account. If you are absent on Headshot day, then the staff will take a headshot photo at the next rehearsal and the photo fee will be added to your account. You will receive the headshot as part of the bio after the show, and we also encourage you to purchase additional photos from our photographer.
- Each family is asked to procure a raffle prize. This may be donated by the family themselves, or they may solicit donations from local businesses.
- Families can purchase a volunteer requirement buy-out option for $500 during the online registration process if unable to volunteer 30 hours over the three month period. Please review the Mandatory Volunteer Requirement policy for more information.
- Parents are responsible for purchasing their own tickets to the performances. We often offer discounted ticket deals; these will be announced when rehearsals start.
- There is a small per-person fee for the company party to cover the facility rental.
- Sweatshirts and additional T-shirts (after the included participant t-shirt) may be purchased.
- Additional one-liners (after the included one-liner) for the program may be purchased.
- Raffle tickets may also be purchased.
- We offer both family and corporate sponsorships which include benefits such as playbill ad space, advance ticket sales, additional raffle tickets, and one liners.
Any registrant who drops from the program is entitled to a refund as follows:
- 100% refund prior to Workshop
- 75% refund prior to first Audition Day
- NO REFUNDS will be given following auditions
A limited number of full, partial and work scholarships are available and are awarded based on financial needs. Students on scholarships may be required to contribute an additional twenty hours of assigned duties. Please email email@example.com for more information prior to registering online.
IMPORTANT REGISTRATION INSTRUCTIONS
- Please fill out this online registration form completely for all participants including adults and children.
- If you participated in the Annie 2017, Narnia 2017, or Beauty and the Beast 2016 productions, then an account for your family should exist, please recover your password to proceed. If you need help, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- When checking out, you may choose to pay now with a credit or debit card, or to pay later and we will collect your fees at the audition workshop or auditions (check or credit card accepted). Payment must be received in full before auditioning.
- After completing the registration, you will receive an email confirmation of your registration. You will receive another email (Enrollment Confirmation) that contains links to Audition Signups and Forms that you must print out and bring with you to auditions. The forms are also available at the top of this page.
- Note: e.T.c. needs a minimum number of participants to make the show financially feasible. If we do not have enough participants registered (minimum 60) then e.T.c. reserves the right to cancel the production.
For questions: email email@example.com
Register for e.T.c.'s Mainstage production of James 2018