Registration for Newsies is open! Please review the following details and then click the link at the bottom of the page to register.
Join Us on Stage!
This is your chance to participate in our upcoming production of “Newsies”! During this memorable experience, participants will gain confidence, work cooperatively with others, and be responsible for meeting deadlines and expectations. Adults can join us on stage as well, or participate in the production in a variety of ways. This will be both fun and challenging while participants learn about the essentials of acting, music, dance, and stagecraft as well as theater history. We look forward to nurturing your imagination and creativity in a way the entire family will never forget!
Fall Venue: Our production of Newsies will be held at Carlmont Performing Arts Center in early November.
"There's a lot of people out there, and they ain't just gonna go away. They got voices now and they're goin' to be listened to. Putting them in jail is not going to stop them. That's the power of the press, Joe. So thanks for teaching me about it."
Auditions for Newsies will be held in August 2019! Prior to the auditions, we invite you to join us at our free Audition Workshop on August 11th to make sure you have the song and monologue choice that’s just right for you! Learn more about each character…so you know which role you want to audition for. Learn the audition dance so you can show us your amazing moves! Come and work hands-on with the creative team on preparing for Newsies auditions.
Audition Format: Your performer will perform a song from a list provided by the staff. Performers should review the songs prior to the Audition Workshop. Please see About eTc Auditions and Audition Songs for more information. Note: If you have already prepared your own audition song, please confirm your selection with the artistic staff at the Audition Workshop.
Date: August 11, 2019 (12 pm - 3 pm)
Location: Kirkpatrick's School of Dance
1701 Leslie Street # 100, San Mateo, CA 94402 (At the corner of 17th & Leslie Street)
Adults and children ages 6 and up
What to Expect as an Actor
- All participants will be cast in an ensemble role regardless of whether or not a speaking role is offered to them.
- All participants will perform in at least three ensemble numbers in the show.
- The audition process is a combined effort by the artistic staff and a board appointed representative. All will be involved during auditions and will participate in providing audition feedback to students. The audition team will make final casting decisions.
- Speaking and specialty roles will be double cast wherever possible, allowing more participants an opportunity to experience solo performing.
- As an ensemble-based theater group, ALL participants will perform in ALL performances in the appropriate/assigned ensemble numbers whether or not they have a speaking or specialty role.
Rehearsal and Performance Details
- Rehearsals are held at Kirkpatrick's School of Dance in San Mateo.
- Rehearsals are held on Saturdays and Sundays for all cast and possibly some Tuesdays for lead characters and specialty dance.
- The Fall 2019 performance of Newsies will be held at Carlmont Performing Arts Center in San Carlos, CA.
Family Involvement & Mainstage Policies
Creating theater is about people working together. While we are fortunate enough to have a professional production staff, parent volunteers are an integral part of putting on an eTc Mainstage production. Both actors and their families have roles in the production. A typical eTc Mainstage production includes a total of over 2000 hours of volunteer time. This is divided among the families of all cast members. It is important to review and understand eTc's Family Involvement & Mainstage Policies which cover the following topics:
- Participant Behavior Guidelines
- Parent Responsibilities
- Mandatory Parent Meeting
- Mandatory Volunteer Requirement
- Mandatory Work Days
- Attendance and Conflicts Policy
- Costume Policy
- Drop/Refund Policy
If you are new to eTc or theater in general, many of your questions may be answered on the Family Involvement & Mainstage Policies page.
Rehearsals for all cast are held on Saturday and Sunday afternoons in San Mateo. Specialty dancers and lead characters will possibly rehearse on some Tuesday evenings. Rehearsals are held in San Mateo.
Tech Week rehearsals are 5:30-9:30 pm at Carlmont Performing Arts Center in San Mateo.
eTc must be informed of all conflicts for the entire season by the participant's audition date. Participants are allowed three conflicts, but those conflicts may not fall on Mandatory rehearsal days, during Tech Week, or during any performance. Please review the eTc Attendance and Conflicts Policy.
Note: Schedule and times subject to change (last updated 5/1/2019)
Workshop: August 11, 2019 (12 pm - 3 pm) at Kirkpatricks School of Dance at 1701 Leslie St # 100, San Mateo, CA 94402 ( Corner of 17th & Leslie st.); Free
Auditions: August 17-18 and 24, 2019; Must be registered and have an audition-spot to audition. (Links to audition signups will be emailed to you in July.)
Callbacks (by appointment only): August 25, 2019.
Parent and Volunteer Meeting — Mandatory Saturday August 31, 2019
Script Read Thru: Saturday August 31, 2019
Rehearsals: Saturday August 31 through Saturday November 9, 2019
Rehearsals will be scheduled for the following groups within the following time periods (subject to change):
- Saturdays 1 pm – 6 pm (All Cast)
- Sundays 11 am – 6 pm (All Cast)
- Tuesday, on as needed basis time TBD (mostly for main characters)
- No rehearsals on: September 1, 2019
- Mandatory rehearsal days - TBD (no conflicts on these days)
Load-In: Saturday November 9, 2019
Tech Week: November 10 - November 13, 2019 at Carlmont Performing Arts Center in San Mateo
- Sunday November 10, 2019 - Cue to Cue 11:00 am – 6:00 pm
- Monday - Wednesday November 11-13, 2019 - Tech rehearsal 5:30 pm – 9:30 pm
Company Party: Date and time to be announced
Performances November 14-17 and November 21-24, 2019
(Cast call time will be approximately 1 hour before curtain)
Benefit Performances: Thursday November 14 & Thursday November 21 at 7 pm
Evening Performances: Friday November 15 & Friday November 22 at 7:30 pm
Matinee Performances: Saturday-Sunday November 16-17 & Saturday-Sunday November 23-24 at 2:00 pm
Strike will be immediately after the November 24th matinee - All families participate in Strike, ALL actors are to stay until released
Registration fees are per person and include a complimentary T-shirt.
- $435 first child participant (ages 6-18)*
- $335 additional child participant (ages 6-18)*
- $235 adult participant*
*IMPORTANT NOTE: the registration fee does not include costume fees.
- The costume fee depends on the complexity of your character's costumes. The maximum costume fee is $125. You will be charged costume fees prior to the last show.
- Note: headshot fees are now included in the registration fee.
All fees must be collected prior to the last show. Please review the Costume Policy for more information.
- Costume rentals are provided by eTc, but are the financial resposibility of the actor. Costume bills will be distributed prior to the closing of the show, and must be paid by the closing performance. The costume charge is based on the complexity of the costume(s), but will never exceed $125. Please review the Costume Policy for more information.
- Participants must provide their own shoes and makeup.
- Headshots are required. We contract with a local photographer to have them done on an all-cast rehearsal day for a nominal fee of $10 which is included in your registration fee. If you are absent on Headshot day, then the staff will take a headshot photo at the next rehearsal. You will receive the headshot as part of the bio after the show. We encourage you to purchase additional photos from our photographer.
- Each family is asked to procure a raffle prize. This may be donated by the family themselves, or they may solicit donations from local businesses.
- Families can purchase a volunteer requirement buy-out option for $500 during the online registration process if unable to volunteer 30 hours over the three month period. Please review the Mandatory Volunteer Requirement policy for more information.
- Parents are responsible for purchasing their own tickets to the performances. We often offer discounted ticket deals; these will be announced when rehearsals start.
- There is a small per-person fee for the company party to cover the facility rental.
- Sweatshirts and additional T-shirts (after the included participant t-shirt) may be purchased.
- Additional one-liners (after the included one-liner) for the program may be purchased.
- Raffle tickets may also be purchased.
- We offer both family and corporate sponsorships which include benefits such as playbill ad space, advance ticket sales, additional raffle tickets, and one liners.
Any registrant who drops from the program is entitled to a refund as follows:
- 100% refund prior to Workshop
- 75% refund prior to first Audition Day
- NO REFUNDS will be given following auditions
A limited number of full, partial and work scholarships are available and are awarded based on financial needs. Students on scholarships may be required to contribute an additional twenty hours of assigned duties. Please email email@example.com for more information prior to registering online.
IMPORTANT REGISTRATION INSTRUCTIONS
- Please fill out this online registration form completely for all participants including adults and children.
- If you participated in the Peter Pan 2019, Wizard of Oz 2018, James and the Giant Peach 2018, Annie 2017, Narnia 2017, or Beauty and the Beast 2016 productions, then an account for your family should exist, please recover your password to proceed. If you need help, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- When checking out, you may choose to pay now with a credit or debit card, or to pay later and we will collect your fees at the audition workshop or auditions (check or credit card accepted). Payment must be received in full before auditioning.
- After completing the registration, you will receive an email confirmation of your registration. In July, you will receive an email containing links to Audition Signups and Forms that you must print out and bring with you to auditions. The forms will also be available at the top of this page.
- Minimum Number of Participants: eTc needs a minimum number of participants to make the show financially feasible. If we do not have enough participants registered (minimum 60) then eTc reserves the right to cancel the production.
Questions? email email@example.com
Registration for Newsies is closed.